August 2, 2022: The deadline for application is closed.
July 22, 2022: The deadline for application is extended to July 31 (Sunday).
This year’s Code4Lib JAPAN Conference will be held online over two days, Saturday, September 3rd and Sunday, September 4th, 2022, following last year’s conference. We invite presentations on a variety of initiatives, including software applications in libraries, archives, and museums, and new ideas related to use of community-based library resources and technologies.
We will organize a global session for the second time. Taking advantage of the online format of the event, we will invite presenters and participants from all over the world, including North America, the birthplace of Code4Lib, to provide opportunities to interact with people worldwide. Please feel free to present your work.
Code4Lib (code for libraries) is a volunteer-driven collective of hackers, designers, architects, curators, catalogers, artists and instigators from around the world, who largely work for and with libraries, archives and museums on technology stuff. Code4Lib JAPAN was established with the aim of spreading the Code4Lib movement in Japan in 2010, and has held annual conferences since 2013.
See: Past conferences
Libraries and other sites continue to make various efforts to respond to the issues on COVID-19. If this conference can create even a small opportunity for people in this situation to connect online and share their technical know-how and awareness of issues, it will serve our purpose. Of course, as in the past conferences, the Code4Lib JAPAN welcomes presentations on a wide variety of issues and technical topics.
The event will be held using Zoom and Slack. Please note that those who apply presentations should be able to use the Zoom environment.
- Event name
- Code4Lib JAPAN Conference 2022
- September 3rd (Sat) - 4th (Sun), 2022 (in Japan Standard Time)
- Event format
Purpose of the event
The Code4Lib JAPAN Conference is an event where librarians, technologists, and all other people involved in libraries, technology, the Web, and IT gather to introduce ideas and tools, share advanced approaches, and meet and connect with each other. Since the first conference held in Minamisanriku Town, Miyagi Prefecture in the summer of 2013, a total of nine conferences have been held, and many cutting-edge and unique initiatives related to library services and information technology have been introduced. In addition, the discussions at the past conferences have led to new developments such as digital archives and book image databases.
This year, we will continue to hold a variety of sessions, including keynote speeches, regular presentations, pre-conferences (tutorials), lightning talks, and breakout sessions, to share numerous initiatives and deepen exchanges among participants. In addition, we will organize a global session, following the last year’s conference.
Call for proposals
Application form: https://bit.ly/c4ljp22-proposal
Please use the form above to submit your presentation.
There are four types of presentations: regular presentations, global session presentations, pre-conferences, and lightning talks.
- Regular presentations (in Japanese): Each presentation has 15 minutes of presentation time and 5 minutes of Q&A time. We plan to accept about 8 proposals. See: last year’s presentations
- Global session presentations (in English): Each presentation has 15 minutes of presentation time and 5 minutes of Q&A time in the global session, which will be held around 9 a.m., September 4th in Japan Standard Time. We plan to accept 2-4 proposals.
- Pre-conferences (Tutorials): These are sessions where participants can learn new skills related to libraries and technology from each other. You are free to plan your own session (about 2 hours), for example, workshops where participants can actually discuss a specific topic, and hands-on seminar where participants can work with specific technologies and tools. They will be held in the morning, September 3rd in Japan Standard Time. We plan to accept up to two proposals. See: last year’s preconferences
- Lightening talks: Each talk has 5 minutes. Applications will be accepted onsite. See: last year’s lightening talks
If you would like to give a presentation in the regular session, global session, or pre-conference, please fill out the following information in the presentation application form and submit it.
- Presenter (name, affiliation, email address)
- Title of presentation
- Outline of presentation (200 words or less)
- Permission for recording and presentation materials
- Information and communication environment
- Experience of online conferences
- Need for supoort for presentation
In particular, we welcome the following types of presentations:
- New software or ideas related to library systems or business systems
- New ideas for the library and technology community
- New ideas related to the use of community-based library resources and technologies
The content of the presentations can be case studies, practical reports, research presentations, idea sharing, or any other content. We are looking forward to receiving applications for presentations based on free ideas, not limited to the above.ま
The deadline for presentation applications is
July 22, 2022 (Friday) July 31, 2022 (Sunday).
The program committee will review the presentation applications, taking into consideration their novelty, usefulness, interestingness, and suitability for the conference, and will notify and announce the results of the selection by the end of July.
Code4Lib JAPAN Conference 2022 Program Committee
-Tsukasa Imai (Atsugi City Central Library) -Yoji Kiyota (LIFULL Co., Ltd. / Medimpl Corp.) -Nobue Koyasu (Chiba Prefectural Library) -Kosuke Tanabe (National Institute for Materials Science) -Masao Takaku (University of Tsukuba; Program chair) -Mao Tsunekawa (Chuo University)
e-mail: code4lib-japan-2022 at googlegroups.com